Friday, March 29, 2013

Blog Entry 7

My school has a "stop and think" program that they use in addition to "color" cards in each classroom to address discipline. Each child is given a number instead of using their name. I think this is a great way to avoid embarrassment with the students. When I was in school the teacher would write our name on the chalkboard if we were disobeying the rules and would add a check mark next to our name for each additional infraction. Although I was extremely shy anyway and rarely dared to break any rules, I lived in fear of the embarrassment of having my name on the chalkboard. It seemed like a neon sign pointing to the "bad" kids.

If a child does something that requires reprimand, the teacher tells him or her to move their card. Each student starts the day with a green card. For the first infraction they move the green card to the back and a yellow card shows with their number on it. Next problem their card is moved it shows a red card which should remind the student that they really need to evaluate their behavior and make changes. If they need to move their card again they are given a "stop and think". They must take a stop and think packet with them into another classroom and sit and work on it answering questions about what they did wrong and what they can do in the future to obey the rules better. A note is sent home to their parents explaining what happened and giving the parents a chance to talk with the student and teacher if necessary.

I have only actually witnessed a child move their cards a handful of times. I have never seen one that had to go to stop and think but I think this is a great program that the kids really seem to respond to. My teacher had to remind a student that his card was red and to change his behavior and it really seemed to help. My class must really be eager to please their teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment